- Basel need to win on Wednesday night in order to qualify for the Champions League knockout stages, while a draw will suffice for Manchester United.
- Manchester United are unbeaten in the three previous meetings between the sides, winning once and drawing twice.
- If Basel qualify from Group C, it will be only the second time they have gone beyond the first group stage of the Champions League. The first time, back in 2003, they reached a second group stage, and ultimately missed out on the quarter-finals only by goal difference.
- Manchester United have reached the Champions League final in three of the last four years, and currently sit top of the Uefa club coefficient rankings.
- Basel are currently on a run of nine straight victories in domestic competitions, and have only lost three of their 25 matches in all competitions this season.
- Manchester United have only lost one of their last 25 away matches in the Champions League.
- Both teams have scored in each of the three previous meetings between the sides.
- Basel keeper Yann Sommer and Manchester United stopper David de Gea faced each other in last summer’s European Under-21 Championship final, with De Gea’s Spain triumphing 2-0 over Sommer’s Switzerland.