- Manchester United have managed to emerge triumphant against Benfica in six of the last eight meetings between the two sides.
- The Red Devils and their opponents have not lost a single game in the group stage of Champions League, and are currently level with eight points each. But Sir Alex Ferguson's charges occupy the top spot due to their superior goal difference.
- The three-time European champions have scored eight goals in four group games. Only Barcelona, Chelsea and Real Madrid have managed to score more goals in their respective fixtures.
- Since 2002, United have only lost to Besiktas and AC Milan at Old Trafford. This means that they have been defeated only twice in 56 games on their own turf.
- Benfica managed to beat United back in 2005 in Lisbon, sending them out of the group stage. At the time, it was the first time in over a decade that the Old Trafford club had bowed out of the group stage of the competition.
- The Portuguese side have been defensively solid in the group stage, conceding only two goals. Marseille and Real Madrid are the only two sides to have shipped fewer.
- The Lisbon-based club are unbeaten in their last four outings away from home in the European competition. In total, they have gone eight games without suffering a loss.