ROBERTO MARTINEZ is to become the new manager of Everton.
The Latics chief had said he wanted a £2million pay-off when Martinez told him he wanted to leave the FA Cup winners last week.
But after lengthy talks, a deal has been struck which is believed to be around £1.5m.
Allthat remains is for Martinez to sort out the fine details of his own contract.
But barring a late hitch, he will be announced as the new Goodison gaffer today.
Whelan told Radio 5 Live last night: “I agreed terms with the chairman at Everton, Bill, about six o’clock this evening.
“Bill and myself have sorted out the compensation and Roberto is free to do a deal with Everton now if he wants.
“Everton are the next step before Roberto goes to the very top.”
Martinez, 39, is set to take Wigan assistant Graeme Jones with him while goalkeeping coach Inaki Bergara and chief scout Kevin Reeves could follow.
He will also seek funds to raid his former employers for Callum McManaman, Shaun Maloney and striker Arouna Kone, who has a £6.5m release clause.
Everton were tracking midfield man James McCarthy but Tottenham are confident they can sign him if he moves.
Martinez had been hot favourite to replace David Moyes since the Scot ended 11 years in charge by taking the Manchester United job.
He first met Kenwright for talks in London over a week ago and initially looked to have a straight run for the line.
Yet the emergence of Ralf Rangnick, sporting director at Salzburg, as a contender on Thursday left Kenwright in a quandary — until now.
A Toffees statement said: “While positive moves are being made, the club will officially announce details as and only when they are agreed and completed.”