Rabu, 7 Ogos 2013

15 kali dah jadi juara

Reserves win Lancashire Cup

United’s Reserves retained the Lancashire Senior Cup and completed the "treble" for the second successive season after coming from behind against fierce rivals Manchester City at the County Ground on Tuesday night.

It's the fourth time United have lifted the trophy in six seasons and the 15th time the club have won the competition. Somewhat surprisingly, though, it was only the first time since the Lancashire Senior Cup was inaugurated in 1879 that United had faced City in the final.

United knocked out Morecambe and Oldham Athletic on the way to the final, while the Blues eliminated Blackpool, Wigan Athletic and Rochdale. Warren Joyce’s side were given a bye in the opening round.

City had the better of the early attacking play on Tuesday, with both Scott Wootton and Tom Thorpe required to clear their lines.

Jesse Lingard raised United’s hopes with a header that struck the upright, but the threat was to no avail as the assistant referee was already fluttering his flag for offside.

Moments later City moved into the lead with Alex Tchumeni-Nimely scoring from close range after Alex Henshall’s shot had been blocked.

Federico Macheda went down in the City area following a vigorous challenge, but his appeal for a spot-kick was waved away by referee Simeon Lucas.
United began to have a bigger say in proceedings and it wasn’t a surprise when Davide Petrucci picked his spot past City keeper Eirik Johansen to claim United’s leveller.

Sam Johnstone did well, three minutes before break, to prevent City’s Harry Dunn from restoring his team’s lead before Tschumeni-Nimely’s shot grazed the Reds' crossbar shortly after the restart.

Adnan Januzaj missed a great chance to give United the lead midway through the second period but fired high over the bar from Tyler Blackett’s left wing cross.

Dunn then looked certain to find the net for City in the 70th minute, only to see his fierce drive bravely headed away by Keane.

Jesse Lingard, fresh from his heroics on the first-team’s summer tour, took centre stage again 15 minutes from time, when he scored from the penalty spot after being felled in the City area by Ashley Smith Brown.

And United almost increased the lead shortly afterwards when Larnell Cole unleashed a screamer that crashed against the post.

In the end, Lingard and Petrucci's strikes were enough to keep City at bay and earn Warren Joyce's men yet another piece of silverware.

source: http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-And-Staff/Reserves/Reserves-News/2013/Aug/manchester-united-win-lancashire-senior-cup-final.aspx

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Ulasan